Because we overlook the physical aspect, we often forget our internal health. Indeed, it is a must to be healthy in all aspects as it is advantageous in swaying the body from different viruses and illnesses. Every part of the body is equally important, and one of the most vital functions is the role of the thyroid gland in your metabolism. Once it leaves unnoticed and undiagnosed, it can affect your health simultaneously like a domino effect. Are you experiencing thyroid problems, or are you currently having one? Thyroid optimization is what you need!
What are thyroid glands?
Thyroid glands are part of the endocrine system and are vital to overall health, especially metabolism. Located at the front of the neck, the thyroid’s role is to produce thyroid hormones dispersed into the blood and carried to every tissue in the body. The primary responsibilities of the thyroid are centered around creating the hormones that maintain the body’s temperature and metabolic, digestive, and brain function.
Thus, the thyroid affects your heart rate, energy level, weight, and mood. Studies found that an undiagnosed and untreated thyroid can lead to depression, obesity, heart disease, hair loss, anxiety, sexual dysfunction, and infertility. The three most important thyroid hormones are T3 (triiodothyronine), T4 (thyroxine), and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). Any abnormalities and symptoms of the thyroid may be present years before diagnosis. The genetic predisposition of thyroid disease usually causes abnormalities in the thyroid, but there is always a lifestyle component or environmental trigger.
What are the symptoms of thyroid imbalance?
Some symptoms of thyroid imbalance are the following:
- Depression or anxiety
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Brittle fingernails
- Increased sweating
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Difficulty sleeping
- Memory fog/concentration issues
- Thinning eyebrows or eyelashes
- Muscle aches/joint pain
- Feeling cold all the time.
- Increased sweating
- Swelling in the neck or face
- Menstrual cycle abnormalities
What is thyroid optimization?
Thyroid optimization helps restore your thyroid’s capacity to regulate your body’s temperature, metabolic rate, and brain function. This process will aid you in breaking the glass wall of fatigue, allowing you to feel refreshed and revitalized. Additionally, it will help you regain your old healthy self.
Why is thyroid optimization essential?
Thyroid optimization is vital as it regulates your thyroid hormone levels. And controlling thyroid hormone levels is essential for your overall well-being since it impacts all organs of the body and the body’s cells.
What are different types of thyroid disorders?
There are different kinds of thyroid disorders: Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Cancer, Goiter, and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. Each of these conditions has specific treatments, so to know what possible type of thyroid disorder you have, ensure that you make time for an initial consultation with a professional.
What are seven foods you must eat and avoid for improved thyroid function?
Before identifying foods that will help improve thyroid function, remember that these foods will not magically remove your thyroid problems immediately. However, their nutrient profile will give your body nutrients that help your thyroid function properly.
For improved thyroid function, you must eat the following:
- Dulse Flakes: This food contains iodine which your thyroid needs to make thyroid-stimulating hormone. Sufficient iodine consumption also prevents and helps (in some cases) reduce the presence of a goiter.
- Brazil Nuts: These nuts are delicious and also one of the strongest sources of selenium. Two to four brazil nuts a day provide all the selenium your thyroid needs to function correctly. A study has also claimed that selenium intake via food, especially from brazil nuts, is more effective than supplementation for this micronutrient.
- Pastured Eggs: Pastured eggs are great sources of thyroid nutrients, selenium, and iodine because an egg contains 20% selenium and 16% iodine you need daily.
- Roasted seaweed: Seaweed, like nori, kelp, and wakame, are naturally rich in iodine which is a trace element necessary for normal thyroid function. If you find seaweed hard to eat, you can eat seaweed with sushi or get packaged seaweed snacks in convenience stores.
- Baked fish: Fish is also rich in selenium and Omega-3 fatty acids, which both aid in decreasing inflammation. Cod, bake salmon, haddock, sea bass, or perch for lunch or dinner to get a healthy dose of both selenium and Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Oysters: Oysters are high in zinc, which helps regulate the thyroid and immune system. Zinc is vital for white blood cell production, which helps protect against pathogens. Aside from this, oysters are also rich in copper and zinc, both essential for collagen synthesis and thyroid function.
- Dairy: Yogurts, milk, and ice cream are dairy products that contain iodine which the thyroid needs to prevent its glands from becoming enlarged, which leads to goiter. If you love frozen yogurts, it is such an edge!
However, there are also foods you must avoid for every specific thyroid disorder. For example, if you have hypothyroidism, you must prevent cruciferous foods like cauliflower and broccoli, fatty foods like meat, butter, and all fried, processed foods, gluten like pasta and bread, foods with soy, coffee, and excess fiber from legumes, beans, and vegetables.
What other things must you know about thyroid optimization?
Longevity of thyroid normalization: It will take at least three to four weeks for your blood levels to normalize after thyroid optimization. This longevity is due to the thyroid’s very long thyroid hormone.
Ideal thyroid level: Adults generally have a perfect thyroid level between 0.4 and 4.0 mIU/L. However, this range may vary slightly depending on the lab where your blood is tested.
Diminishing of thyroid hormones: As we age, our thyroid hormones undergo three changes; the thyroid glands produce less T4, the conversion of T4 to T3 becomes slower, and thyroid receptors become less sensitive to T3. All of these can lead to clinically low thyroid hormone levels.
Misdiagnosis of low thyroid levels: According to studies, low thyroid levels are often underrated and misdiagnosed because of the undertreatment of hypothyroidism symptoms. A thyroid screening test is commonly performed in a laboratory by measuring the TSH or stimulating thyroid syndrome.
Thyroid problems may cause legitimate suffering to your health, especially if you cannot find a way to resolve them. Thankfully, there are medical spas that provide thyroid optimization. In Absolute Healthcare, you can get thyroid optimization with an FDA-approved and cost-effective process to ensure your satisfaction and happiness!
Let us help you with your thyroid problems and set an appointment in the best medical spa in town now!